ATS students and a REU intern earn awards at AGU and AMS conferences
Several ATS students and a REU intern earned awards from the American Geophysical Union and American Meteorological Society at their recent annual meetings.
- Kimberley Corwin – AMS first-place Best Student Poster Presentation for her poster “Historical Exposure of U.S. Solar Energy Potential to Smoke-Driven Changes in Shortwave Irradiance” for the 14th Conference on Weather, Climate, and the New Energy Economy.
- Eric Goldenstern – AMS second-place Student Poster Presentation Award for his poster “Predicting Biases in a Simple Infrared Precipitation Retrieval Using Ancillary Information” for the 37thConference on Hydrology.
- Emily Gordon – AGU Outstanding Student Presentation Award (OSPA) for her talk “Identifying State-Dependent Predictability in Near-Term Climate Evolution.”
- Christine Neumaier – AMS Outstanding Student Presentation Award for her talk “Transport and Mixing of Bioaerosols by Successive Cold Pools” for the 15th Symposium on Aerosol–Cloud–Climate Interactions.
- Olivia Sablan – AGU Outstanding Student Presentation Award for her talk “Monitoring smoke from landscape fires in the Flint Hills region of Kansas during the 2022 burning season.”
- Kyle Shackelford – AMS honorable mention Student Poster Presentation for his poster “Feedbacks of Rain-Induced SST Gradients to Atmospheric Convection Over the Tropical Indian Ocean Using a Regional Coupled Atmosphere-Ocean Model” for the 11th Symposium on the Madden-Julian Oscillation and Sub-Seasonal Monsoon Variability.
- Visiting student Jingxuan Cui – AMS third-place Poster Presentation Award for her talk “Changes in MJO Teleconnection in the PNA Region under Global Warming” for the 11th Symposium on the Madden-Julian Oscillation and Sub-Seasonal Monsoon Variability.
- REU intern Hanna McDaniel – AMS Outstanding Student Conference Poster Award for her poster “Investigating Predictor Importance for a Next-Day Severe Weather Hazard Random Forest Model.”
Caption for photo collage: From left to right, top to bottom row: Kimberley Corwin, Eric Goldenstern, Emily Gordon, Christine Neumaier, Olivia Sablan, Kyle Shackelford, Jingxuan Cui, and Hanna McDaniel.