Skip Navigation
September 21, 2022

Kevin Yang and Madison Shogrin win AMS student presentation awards

Kevin Yang and Madison Shogrin each received an Outstanding Student Presentation Award from the AMS Collective Madison Meeting Aug. 8-12 in Madison, Wisconsin. Yang earned first place and Shogrin earned second place for their oral presentations during the 16th Conference on Atmospheric Radiation.

Yang presented results from a recent paper accepted by Geophysical Research Letters, which focuses on understanding the radiative impact of near-cloud aerosols using a newly developed machine learning-based aerosol retrieval method. Yang said the work highlights the importance of aerosol retrievals in near-cloud regions and need to incorporate the humidification effect in radiative forcing estimates.

Yang, who is advised by Professor Christine Chiu, said he was grateful to meet many prestigious scientists at the conference and collect insightful feedback on his work.

“I would like to thank my adviser, Christine, for her tireless support of this research,” Yang said.

Shogrin presented new findings on the spatiotemporal variability of the photochemical pollutant peroxyacetyl nitrate (PAN), based on satellite observations over three megacities: Mexico City, Beijing and Los Angeles.

Shogrin, advised by Associate Professor Emily Fischer, was excited to give her first in-person conference presentation.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to represent CSU at this conference and present new science,” she said. “I am also thankful to my adviser, Emily Fischer, and co-authors for their guidance in this project.”