Skip Navigation
September 8, 2022

Elizabeth Barnes named Professor of the Year

Professor Elizabeth Barnes was presented with the Professor of the Year award for the 2021-22 academic year during the New Student Welcome Picnic Aug. 31. Atmospheric Science graduate representatives determine the recipient based on which professor received the most feedback for teaching excellence on course evaluations by students.

Graduate representative Emily Gordon presented Barnes with the award, noting that she was the professor most likely to be recommended to other grad students for both her fall and spring courses. She had one of the highest survey response rates.

Gordon shared a few excerpts from the surveys:

“She explains things so thoroughly and I felt like I learned so much in her class. The subject she taught I hated in undergrad, but being in her class actually made me appreciate and love dynamics.”

Students commented on her passion and dedication for teaching and the clarity of her explanations.

Barnes said this award is especially meaningful to her. This is the second time she has been named Professor of the Year; the first time she received the honor was in 2016.