Skip Navigation
April 9, 2020

Justin Whitaker named 2020 Spring Volunteer by Graduate Student Council

When Justin Whitaker is not studying or conducting research in atmospheric science at CSU, the Ph.D. candidate often is supporting athletes with special needs as a volunteer with Fort Collins Adaptive Recreation Opportunities. Over the past four years, Whitaker has dedicated several hours a week to Fort Collins ARO, which is run by the City of Fort Collins and affiliated with Special Olympics Colorado.

“I have a younger brother with autism, and Fort Collins ARO allows me to merge my love of sports with my passion to give back to people like him,” Whitaker said.

In recognition of his contributions to graduate students and Unified Sports, CSU’s Graduate Student Council selected Whitaker as the 2020 Spring Volunteer of the Month, an honor bestowed once a semester. He was nominated by two fellow students.

Read the full Source article, “GSC 2020 Spring Volunteer Justin Whitaker combines passions for sports, helping others through ARO program.”

Photo at top: Justin Whitaker, standing at right in solid red, participates in a 2019 ARO basketball game, along with atmospheric science students Rick Schulte, Emily Bell and Sean Freeman.